Food contributor Kami Kilgore from No Diets Allowed is sharing a a delicious treat today, just in time for the weekend! Take it away girl…
These are the ultimate sweet and salty snack. You’ll love these soft and fluffy pretzel bites sprinkled with a sugary mustard salt. You won’t be able to resist licking your fingers before going back for more.
Not only are they finger-licking-good, but they are also fun to make! Your children will enjoy making a rope out of the dough and dunking them in the egg batter after you cut the individual bites. Food should be enjoyable to eat and to make.
Sweet Mustard Pretzel Bites
1 and 1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp active yeast
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour (set aside additional 1 cup flour)
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1) Preheat oven to 425°F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2) In a large bowl, combine the yeast and warm water. Let sit until the yeast dissolves (about 2-3 minutes).
- 3) Stir the brown sugar and oil into the yeast mixture until dissolved.
- 4) Add the flour and salt. Stir and knead to combine. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead with floured hands until smooth.
- 5) In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg. Set aside.
- 6) In another small bowl, combine salt, sugar, mustard powder, onion powder and garlic powder.
- 7) Divide the dough into 5 portions. Working with one at a time, roll the dough balls out into ropes that are about 1 inch in diameter. Use a sharp knife to cut 1-inch lengths of dough.
- 8) Drop each of the dough pieces into the egg mixture and immediately transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Place them about 1/2 inch apart. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- 9) Slide the tray into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Repeat the process until all the dough has been cooked.
- 10) Melt the butter and brush all the pretzel bites with butter. Sprinkle sweet mustard mixture evenly over pretzel bites and toss to coat well. Serve warm for best results!