I have this awkward, dead space between my kitchen counter top and sliding door that leads to the patio.
I would have run the counter top all the way over but it would run in to the door. I’ve been needing a spot for my printer and misc supplies but everything I find either doesn’t fit just right or is
ugly not my taste. So, this weekend the Mr. and I made diy bookshelf for our kitchen out of some wood boards and plumbing pipe.
I love the industrial look to it plus when you do it yourself, you can customize it to your perfect dimensions.
I picked everything up from Home Depot. My first stop was the wood department. I picked out a sheet of birch wood because I liked the look of the grain. I’ve mentioned this before but what I love about Home Depot is that they’ll cut down your boards to your specific dimensions for free. I was actually a fan of leaving the board as-is and sealing it with polyurethane but I wanted it to match the kitchen so I stained the boards Walnut then sealed it with Wipe On Polyurethane.
Next stop, the plumbing department. Now I was under the assumption that this was going to be a pretty inexpensive project. Turns out 16 floor flanges at $6.00 a pop adds up quick. After my sticker shock I might have re-thought the whole project but I already had the board cut and in my cart. I will admit for a brief moment I thought about stashing the boards in the light bulb isle then running but then I remembered…my momma taught me better…plus, video cameras.
Moral of the story…price things out first.
The pipes came in three different colors. Silver, black and green. I opted for black but the flanges only came in silver so I sprayed them a matte black.
I used 1/2 inch pipes, 1/2 inch flanges and #10 x 3/4″ screws.
Again, if you buy it, they’ll cut all the pipes down and thread each end to your specific dimensions.
Before putting the screws in to the wood, pre-drill first so the wood doesn’t split.
Also, use a piece of tape to mark how far down to pre-drill so you don’t go all the way through the wood to the other side.
I had to make a second trip to Home Depot when I discovered that 3/4 of my pipes wouldn’t twist on to the flanges all the way.
So sweet Kent ran each one of my pipes through the threading machine twice to ensure they were all a good fit.
While you are standing there, twist each pipe in to the flange and make sure they will twist down before you leave the store.
I also put my shelf on casters to that I can move it for easy cleaning of the floor. Plus, the casters will make it easy if I want to use it as a bar cart for an outdoor party…wink!
In total, the project cost me about $200.00. Much more than I had wanted to spend…those little floor flanges really got me. I could have saved myself so money by buying the flanges for half online. Of course, I didn’t think of that until after I spray painted mine, %^$#! I’m really pleased with the result and would do it again. I’m even toying with the idea of doing a table next.