The Mr. has been on a business trip all week and the two oldest went to Yellowstone with Grandpa and other family which left me and the youngest boy at home to par-tay. I had all kinds of fun activities planned as well checking quite a few DIY projects off my list. Unfortunately, Mr. Strep throat came to visit my boy the second after everyone left. Argh. So instead of a week of fun and projects, we’ve been camping out in bed all week and monitoring a 4-day fever around the clock. On top of that the boy apparently has a very weak gag reflex so it’s been a whole lot of pleading, bribing, begging the boy to swallow nasty medicine then cleaning up puke because pharmaceutical companies obviously have no idea with bubble gum flavoring is supposed to taste like. The week has been a bust. On the bright side we’ve had a whole lot of precious snuggle time.
Between temperature readings I did have time to experiment with a small project I’ve been wanting to tackle…
I haven’t given up hope on the “bane of my existence” dresser (yet). I’ve spent hours (literally!) calling experts on sandblasting, walnut shell blasting, pickling, etc. to have someone strip it down for me and in the end, the best method so not to ruin this metal dresser is to do exactly what I’ve been doing. Stripping it by hand. %$#@.
I’ve been grinding paint off this sucker for so long that I now have some pretty impressive biceps to show for it. This week I removed the cute little casters from the dresser.
Taking a page from the Nicole Curtis book I decided to give the crockpot method a try.
I submerged my hardware in water with 1 pump of dish soap and let them simmer for about 5 hours.
When I removed the hardware from the crockpot the paint was pretty much falling off. I could scrape it all off with my finger nail but then I ruined my non-existent manicure and opted for a wire brush instead. It was shocked at how easily it came off.
Within minutes all these puppies were completely paint and grime free.
I also decided to try the crockpot method on these brass brackets I found while on our RV trip at a cool architectural salvage shop in Kansas City, MO.
I was looking for some hardware I could DIY some Bermuda shutters with. I’m hoping they work…stay tuned for that upcoming project.
As you can see they were covered with several layers of paint over the years.
5 hour in the crockpot and voila…
Best non-harsh-chemical solution ever for removing paint from hardware.
If only they made a crockpot big enough for me to submerge my entire dresser…then we’d be in business!
***Remember when working with paint removal always wear a mask and other protection in case the paint may be lead based.***