My little-big man’s bed is done-zo. I scored this vintage bed off of KLS Classifieds (Salt Lake City’s version of Craigslist). The women who sold it to me didn’t want to let it go but said she needed the space. Before she’d even let me come take a look at it she said, “You’re not going to paint it are you?” I promise at the time I hadn’t planned on painting it. But when I brought it in to the room and looked at it…it was just too much traditional wood sitting right in the middle of the floor. I tried hard to knock the little devil on my shoulder off who planted the “PAINT IT” seed but he eventually won and I gave in. I feel a little bad going against her wishes but I hope she’d approve if she saw the final result.
Instead of painting the whole thing I decided to go for a two-tone application for a modern twist on a traditional piece.
I used oil based paint because of it’s durability. The problem with oil paint is you can’t wash your brushes out with plain old water. You have to use a strong chemical like paint thinner and I just didn’t want to mess around with that between coats.
I pulled out one sheet, folded it over itself, sealed the edges as close and possible around the brush and it formed an air tight seal.
I used the same hack when I painted some feathers a few weeks ago.
I’ve you’ve ever attempted painting projects with kids you know there are a lot of interruptions, breaks, messes, etc. Instead of washing out all the brushes when I know I’ll be coming back to the project in an hour or so, it’s much easier to sandwich the brushes between two sheets of Glad Press’n Seal, roll ’em up and there’s no worry about brushes drying with hard crusted paint on them