About a month ago I saw a segment on the news about the dangers of radon gas. If you aren’t familiar, radon is an odorless, colorless, cancer causing gas that is a result of decaying uranium in the ground and comes in to your home through the cracks in the floors and walls. Some areas have higher levels than others. I had heard of its negative effects before so I thought it a good idea to do a test in our home to check our radon levels.
I bought this test kit at Home Depot for under $20.
You simply open the two containers, follow the directions, and after 3 days you close them up and send them in to a test lab. About a week later we got the results back which reported we had levels of 10. To give you perspective, the EPA recommends you take action to reduce radon for anything over a 4.
Fortunately, there are companies out there that can reduce the level of radon in your home by installing a mitigation system (which is a good thing because we had all been holding our breath since we received the results).
The first thing they do is drill a hole in your basement floor.
A pipe is then installed in the hole and extends all the way to the roof.
Our pipe went from the basement in to the garage then up through the roof.
A fan is connected to the tube which is right at the base of the roof that sucks the radon gas that lies beneath the house. As a part of the process all cracks need to be sealed in the basement floor with a silicone-type caulk.
I’ll admit, it’s not the prettiest procedure but it sure beats lung cancer. Final bill was about $1400. (I knew you’d ask).
Now if our polluted, Salt Lake City air would just clear out…my husband joked he might have a better chance at avoiding lung problems by sucking the air out of the top of the radon tube vs. breathing our icky city air. Have you checked your home for radon?